There are certain situations where I have to take a minute to calm my beating heart and steady my breath. Cooking, anything, is one of them. There is a voice screaming in my head “NAPTIME IS NEARLY OVER YOU IDIOT!” which pushes me to overreact, adrenalin pumping through my veins.
“I repeat, you are not under attack.” I remind myself, remembering there are real reasons to panic in life and making muffins is not one of them.
Other things I tell myself:
1. It can all go in the bin at any point
2. No you didn’t fail if you throw it in the bin
3. It’s the taking part that counts
4. There is a logical solution to most mistakes which you will find if you calm down
5. It doesn’t matter if the ingredients are slightly different or weigh slightly different amounts to the recipe
I think it’s the culmination of detailed instructions, a messy kitchen, and my own impossibly high standards which send me into a panic. Either way, I’m taking it one day at a time 😄